Thursday 9 April 2015

Persons of the Week: The Florists and Horticulturists of the Yeouido Cherry Blossom Festival


If you're heading to see the blooms of the cherry blossoms at Yeouido in Seoul this weekend, these are the hardworking people who are making the welcome arch the most photogenic man-made structure at the festival.



Since I am avoiding the chaos at the Yeouido Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend, I ran to the site late last night after work to take a hike, literally!  My legs needed stretching and my mind needed relaxing. So, a kilometer or two of strolling along the cherry blossom lane was what I did. 

Once I got at the start of the Festival's cherry blossom lane, I noticed these group of people working overtime placing the colorful flower patches around and on the welcome arch. And even though they're not finished yet, people were already posing next to it.


And with the use of a crane, which levitated them to the top corners of the arch, they plugged in more flowers to complete the whole design. 

I wonder what time they finished last night, or whether they were able to complete the task. But for this work alone that will bring more enjoyment, and probably millions of memorable photographs, these florists and horticulturists are my persons of the week!

PS. I was told by the Korea Tourism Organization hotline operator that the colored lights on the cherry blossom trees will be turned off at 11PM each night during the festival. I hope the organizers can extend it as people will probably stroll around the cherry blossom lane even until midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment