Thursday, 5 November 2015

Cinco de Noviembre: The Successful Negros Revolution Against Spain!


           (Silay City's Cinco de Noviembre monument)

It was just four weeks ago that I was walking the streets of Madrid with the 'katsa' (muslin cloth) bag I bought years ago from Negros Showroom in Bacolod City that had an embroidered Philippine Flag with "1898" on it, and the words "Republica Cantonal de Negros"

I wasn't surprised then that a few locals were staring at it, especially when I took the subway en route to visit the "Islas Filipinas" Station in the Chamberi District in Madrid. I proudly slung it over my shoulder; it contained my Madrid map, iPad, camera, water, and my bocadillo de jamon.



I wondered whether they recognized the Philippine flag and thought that this Asian guy riding the subway was from one of their former colonies. Ja-ja-ja!

If they thought so, they were right! ¡Es verdad!
       (A canon guards the monument)

Today, November 5, the Negros Province in the Philippines commemorates the successful revolution against Spain 117 years ago.

The revolt started on November 5, 1898, and peacefully ended the next day with the Spanish authorities surrendering to the revolutionary forces led by Aniceto Lacson, Juan Araneta, Leandro Locsin, Simeon Lizares, Jose Montilla and Julio Diaz.



In the city of Silay, Negros Occidental, the memorial for Cinco de Noviembre was constructed to remind everyone of one of the most important dates in the Province's history. The spot was the location of an old pharmacy where the local revolutionaries secretly met to plot the uprising. Immortalized are the names of the brave local leaders who led the revolt.

After the successful revolution, the Negrenses set up its own government. But the independence was short-lived though, as the GI Joes took over the island unopposed just three months after.


        (This elegant white house is across 
        the Cinco de Noviembre monument. 
                I wonder who owns it.)

So, if you're passing by Silay City in Negros Occidental, aside from dropping by my favorite El Ideal restaurant, do roam around and look for the Cinco de Noviembre Street. That's where you'll find the monument. And our history lesson for today.
(My all-purpose, revolutionary 'katsa' bag that roamed with me around Spain. Luckily, we weren't arrested by any guardia civil. Ha-ha-ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment