Wednesday 21 September 2011

A Blog Of A Book: Jovito Salonga's 'Presidential Plunder'

Today is September 21, the anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law in the Philippines.
Interestingly, I  am in the middle of reading Jovito Salonga's book, Presidential Plunder, where he narrates the inside stories of his quest to recover the billions Marcos and his cohorts plundered from the country. Salonga was imprisoned during the Martial Law.
While reading it, I thought this book looks like his daily blog of the back-stories, legal cases, incidents and his insights into the politics and legalities of his work as the chairman of the commission tasked to get back for the Filipino people the stolen wealth. Very interesting!

And during my lunch breaks, my bus and subway rides, or even while walking through subway train transfers, I eagerly continue reading, wanting to finish at least a chapter between Point A...and Point B!
I have been wanting to get a copy of this book years ago, but it was always sold out. But thanks to a good friend who flew in from Manila with a copy (and some goodies!), I am now learning how the dictator and his cronies shamelessly stole, abused and left the Philippine treasury empty.
And while flipping pages during a shaky train ride, I also shake my head in disbelief as to the shamelessness, the impudence, the greed and the lack of conscience of those corrupt and abusive people in power and with positions.
And while I continue my reading, I just wish that people in government keep it clean. I wish. 


I hope it's not too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment