Sunday 16 October 2011

Blog Action Day 2011: Be Thankful For Every Spoonful

Today is the 2011 Blog Action Day. And the topic is food, something which I obviously enjoy writing (and eating!) about in my blog.


I guess I am one of the lucky ones who do not worry where my next meal would be coming from.  The moment my tummy starts to grumble, I can just grab something from my fridge or just walk down the neighborhood and pick a restaurant. 


But I always know that someone, somewhere barely has the means buy or source for his or her next meal.


I don't even have to think that that someone is so far away  in another country or continent. That someone could be only a few hundred meters where I sit to enjoy my next meal. And that meal sitting in front of me always leaves me grateful (and full!) every day.


I am grateful. That I am not hungry now.


I am grateful. That I have means to find food to feed myself at least three times a day. Sometimes even more.


I am grateful. That I even have means to choose the food I want to eat. 


And this gratefulness allows me not to ignore that someone sitting on the pavement waiting for someone to help them feed themselves even for the next meal.


And although the "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day" quote sometimes rings in my head as I extend my little help, I always walk away happy knowing that, even though I would not be able to feed him or her for a lifetime, I am able to feed him or her at least today.


So, for us who don't even worry where to get our next meal, let's be grateful. And be always aware that someone nearby would need our little help, even just for today.


And every time we sit down to eat, let's all be thankful....for every spoonful.




The Blog Action Day website...http://blogactionday.org/act/




No comments:

Post a Comment