Sunday 20 November 2011

Walking His Way: Carlos Celdran Shows Off Manila

My idea of Intramuros was all from my grade school textbooks and teachers: it was built by the Spaniards a long, long time ago; it has really, really old buildings and is popular to tourists. And that's it.

And though I lived in Manila for years, I can only remember a few times I was there. A few times....like one-two-three, mostly to attend weddings at the San Agustin Church and Manila Cathedral.

But early this year, as I had a free afternoon before I flew back to Seoul, I joined Carlos Celdran's Walk This Way tour of Intramuros.

Carlos brought me (and a few other tourists) back in time as we toured the place on foot and on calesas, recounting on how it all began and how it became to be. His storytelling was well-researched, funny and witty.


I have been living in Seoul for years now, and that afternoon spent in the walled city of Intramuros (read blog here) was one of the most interesting I have spent at home in a long time. 

Though Carlos' tour reminded me of Intramuros' history, the afternoon reminded me on how much I missed Manila.



Now, I heard Carlos has a tour about Imelda Marcos at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. I hope I would be able to catch it when I fly back home for Christmas.
  
Or better yet, I hope I could join one of those 'barter tours' of his where, instead of paying the fee in cash, you can pay Carlos with anything you have or can afford.
 

Manila is not all traffic, hot weather and typhoons.  It has an interesting side, too. 

So, if you got an afternoon to spare when in Manila, why not join Carlos Celdran's tours? He will show you Manila as you walk his way...

No comments:

Post a Comment