Friday 7 February 2014

A Pinoy At The Movies: Hercules At Greenbelt 3 and The Hobbit At Glorietta 4

Spending two nights in Makati was a treat. And two nights in Makati were all I needed!

After I planed in from Bacolod City, flying out from the very picturesque Bacolod-Silay Airport, I immediately started my weekend with strolling around the Greenbelt and Glorietta areas trying to practice my legs after a week from the hospital and a few weeks just staying at home.

Every time I am in Manila after the Christmas holidays, it would still be the Manila film festival and no Hollywood movie is shown even a few days after the new year's. But this time, lucky me, after an extended medical leave, I was now able to catch a couple!


So, on my first Saturday night, I went to Greenbelt 3 to watch The Legend of Hercules. Well, the actors weren't familiar faces, although most of them look like the ones you'd see bulking up their muscles in the gym. After all, it's about Hercules, the strongest man in Greek mythology, long before steroids were invented. Ha-ha-ha!

This is a movie to watch if you have no other choice. And yes, I didn't have any other choice that night. Ha-ha-ha! Although the acting wasn't that convincing, the visuals and my re-education on Greek gods and the Greek wars were worth the Php 60 ticket price. Of course, in the end, Hercules and his flexed muscles won over the other bodybuilders pretending to be Greek warriors. 

                                 (Glorietta 4 Cinema)
                        (Sizzling boneless bangus dinner!)

My second night in the cinema was more interesting. I was able to get a ticket for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug! This film was on a limited release in Seoul when I left in December because some cinemas wanted more share from the ticket sales of the film. This wasn't shown at CGV Yongsan, which was just next to my office in Seoul, and even my friend In-pyo, a fellow movie fan, wasn't able to catch it. I sent him a message through KakaoTALK that night telling him that I caught the movie just to make him envy. Ha-ha-ha! Mean!

And right before catching the last full show that night, this time at Glorietta 4 Cinema, I made sure I could squeeze in a dinner at my old favorite fastfood stall at the food court, Sizzling! The boneless bangus (milkfish) has always been my favorite and I got a plateful that night on the eve of my flight back to South Korea. I guess that was my last supper...without anyone betraying me. Ha-ha-ha!


After paying a Php 220 movie ticket, I was engrossed for almost three hours watching elves, dwarves and orcs enjoying my last night in Manila, the last night I could wear shorts before I flew in into the very cold winter days in Seoul. Even though the movie ended in another cliffhanger, signaling another sequel to watch out for, I was able to relive my days (or nights!) of enjoying walking around, dining and watching films at Greenbelt and Glorietta cinemas. Those were the days when my friends, especially Roselyn, and officemates would get guaranteed seat tickets on weekends as part of relaxing after a stressful week at work. Those were the days, indeed.

While In-Pyo envies me for having caught The Hobbit in Glorietta, I envy everyone having fun at Greenbelt or Glorietta this weekend. And if you're there, do watch a Hollywood film for me and even squeeze in a boneless bangus dinner if you can! 


    (A huge poster that caught my eye at Glorietta cinema lobby:                   Monuments Men! Another must-watch film!)

No comments:

Post a Comment