Saturday 21 March 2015

Happy Birthday, Dongdaemun Design Plaza!



The Dongdaemun Design Plaza opened on March 21, 2014, and today is its first birthday. I wonder how many visitors came to visit and greet its exhibition rooms a 'happy birthday'. I always pass by this uniquely designed structure every now and then. 



I pass by the design plaza when I crave for some really good Korean delicacies that are available around the Dongdaemun Station area.

I also pass by the design plaza when I need to have my tennis rackets restrung at the sports shops around the area.

And last year, I had a fun time buying some quality bags as presents at the Nampyeonghwa bag market, which is just a few meters to the right of the design plaza. 


But late last year, Dongdaemun Design Plaza's grass hill area became very popular when 20,000 white flowers with LED lights were installed. These flowers were like a postcard picture during day time and even more beautiful at night. I wonder if they are still there.


I also wonder if the Philippine jeepney parked at the backside of the Dongdaemun Design Plaza is still there. I was surprised the first time I saw it last summer. By the way, last year's pikachu event was very popular.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the plaza was in 2009. In 2013, the construction of this Zaha Hadid design was completed, and it was opened in 2014.  The cost? Reportedly at about US$450 million.  On its second year, and with that huge price tag, I should look forward to the line-up of events as I pass by its shiny, silvery tiles. Every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment