Saturday 19 December 2015

A Pinoy @ The Movies: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

                      (A Stormtrooper and 
                      BB-8 at the CGV lobby)


Don't worry, no spoilers here.

Last Thursday, on opening night, I joined the hundreds of Star Wars fans at CGV Cinema at I-Park Mall above the Yongsan Station in Seoul in getting transported to 'a galaxy far, far away' by the franchise's Episode 7, The Force Awakens.

Some die-hard Star Wars fans watched the film in Jedi costumes and some even had light sabers. Of course, they were foreigners. The only time I would expect to see a Korean walking around in a Jedi costume would be Halloween night in Itaewon.  

If you want to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens, you should at least be familiar with the story and the characters. This is already Episode 7, remember? It's like watching the TV series 24. You need to watch from the very first hour, and not just jump into the 10th hour as you might lose track as to how many bad guys Jack Bauer had already killed. Ha-ha-ha!

Going back to 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away', in the night's -3'C temperature, fans braved through the chill, took to their reserved seats, and hushed down when George Lucas' familiar opening crawl started to hypnotize everyone into the dark side. Ha-ha-ha! 

Just like the episodes before, the Star Wars films always make living in other planets look so easy! So, I wondered why Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway found it so difficult to find a habitable planet in Interstellar? Or why Matt Damon had to be celebrated for growing plants in The Martian? Ha-ha-ha!

I used to have the complete set of three Star Wars films A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, which I played when I was doing some chores in my Manila apartment usually from Saturday night until early Sunday morning. I guess being transported to another galaxy while actually doing some household chores here on Earth made the work easier. Ha-ha-ha! Especially if you have the Force with you.

And considering this episode was after 30 years since, seeing the familiar characters Han Solo, Princess Leia (who's now a general with a perfect hairdo even in a time of war), and Luke Skywalker (who now looks like a Jedi needing some rehab) just proved that the Force was indeed with them.

And I guess the Force was with the fans as well. After the movie, they cheered and clapped, proving it was worth the wait.

And me? With the freezing temperatures waiting outside as I made my way home, I didn't need the Force; I needed a hot chocolate. And maybe some Jedi instincts as to where to get one, quick. Ha-ha-ha! 

So, may the Force be with you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment