Tuesday 12 October 2021

Quarantined Korean Drama Life: My Mom Discovers "Stairway To Heaven"

A year ago, at the height of the enhanced community quarantine, my mom discovered the Korean drama, My Golden Life on Philippine television (read blog here). Lucky for her, KBS, the Korean broadcaster that produced the drama, has a Youtube account which contains all the episodes with English subtitles. She was able to binge-watch all the 52 episodes!😱


("Stairway to Heaven" poster 
featuring the cast of the drama)


This year, she's watching another Korean drama, Stairway to Heaven, an old drama that aired in 2003. My mom is 18 years late. 😜

How did she discover Stairway to Heaven when it's not even shown on the local channels? It's on a digital channel included in GMA Affordabox! She was able to win one by just watching the One Western Visayas newscast every afternoon!😂

On GMA Affordabox's Channel 3 - Heart of Asia, several Korean dramas dubbed in Pilipino are being shown, most of which must have been watched by Korean drama fans in the Philippines, including my friends whom I call the Seoul drama queens (read blog here)

These 'Seoul drama queens' visited Korea every year before the pandemic to discover the Korean culture and explore the locations where their favorite Korean dramas were filmed. My mom would surely benefit from their knowledge of Korean dramas, from plots to the difficult names of actors and actresses, and of course, the film locations.

But for now, I'll let my mom enjoy the dubbed episodes of Stairway to Heaven over Channel 3 of the GMA Affordabox. Then, maybe later I'll ask for her reactions and write about it for Korea.net, like the piece I did about her on My Golden Life (read here).

So, thanks to One Western Visayas and GMA Affordabox for the thrill and amusement my mom gets every time there's a 'kilig' moment between Cholo (the character of Kwon Sang-woo) and Jodi (the character of Choi Ji-woo, who has a statue at Nami Island with Bae Yong-joon, read blog here)

These days when we have to avoid going to crowded places even when we're vaccinated, entertaining ourselves with what's on TV can be one way to avoid stress, or even depression. 

And watching Korean dramas dubbed in Pilipino and aired over Channel 3 of GMA Affordabox can be a source of such fun and entertainment. 😊


(My mom in front of the Lotte World Tower
 in Seoul, Korea. I told her the Lotte World 
Adventure where the some scenes were 
filmed was just across the street.😊)

No comments:

Post a Comment