Sunday 16 January 2011

A Pinoy in Manila: Halo-Halo!

During summer in the Philippines, halo-halo is the most popular snack to cool off! To 'halo' means to mix, so 'halo-halo' means mix-mix! 

This icy cold snack consists of, well, ice shavings with evaporated milk and drowned with loads of caramelized jackfruit, banana, candied purple yam, red beans, tapioca, gelatin, nata de coco, pinipig (ground dried rice), cooked sweet potato, chickpeas, sweet corn, coconut strips and a lot more, depending on the available local ingredients. And a halo-halo crowned with ice cream is usually called 'espesyal', and it is available all year round! 

These are some of the halo-halo ingredients.
But today, as I wandered around the Makati Commercial Center, I stumbled into a food court and saw a halo-halo joint and ordered a cup!
This joint's halo-halo cup is just enough for me. I didn't have the intention of pigging out on my afternoon snack as I still have a big dinner to follow. Sweetened banana and sweetened macapuno (a type of coconut) were buried under ice shavings topped with leche flan.  Although this cup didn't have much of the traditional  ingredients, it was still flavorful and refreshing, considering I have been walking around the mall the  whole afternoon!
Well, the halo-halo of Razon's of Guagua kept me company on my table for about ten minutes, and few more in my stomach! Ha-ha-ha!  So, if you, too, are in Manila and hungry for a refreshment, do look for this joint. 

Halo-halo. Mix-mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment