Sunday 20 October 2013

Incheon Airport's Korean Cultural Experience: Got No Time? No Problem!


 It's actually easy to miss if you're in a hurry as I always have been when I'm at the Incheon International Airport. And I think I missed this booth a few times before.

 But last month, as I was waiting for my turn at the Lotte Duty-Free pick up station before my flight to Manila, I noticed the sign KOREA TRADITIONAL CULTURAL EXPERIENCE CENTER, and decided to drop by.

 Luckily, it was a few minutes before 9PM and it was still open. The two staff from the Korea Tourism Organization, Jurim and Hyunhwa, told me that there are actually three centers like this at the Incheon International Airport. At the main passenger terminal, there's one at the East Center Passenger Terminal (near Gate 25) and another one at the West Center Passenger Terminal (near Gate 29). 

I was at the Korean Cultural Center on the 3rd floor of the Concourse, near Gate 122.

 At this Center, any foreigner who's at the airport during a layover or en route to another city can enjoy even just for a short time a Korean traditional experience by donning the colorful costumes, making Korean handicrafts or just simply watch a cultural performance. All for free!
 Although the performances are scheduled at specific times of the day, the costumes can be enjoyed any time. The handicraft-making though is only available when the instructors are around during the day.
I think this Center is especially interesting for foreigners who are just passing by Korea and have enough time to spare in the airport before their connecting flights. 

Early this year, my friend Maria had a few hours of layover at the Incheon International Airport and she was able to see the capital. But if you don't have enough time to go to Seoul during your layover, this cultural center is the best way to know of the country and the culture, even if it's just for a few minutes. 
(If you don't know where the nearest Korean Cultural Center is, you can ask for help at this desk. The question mark reminds me of one of Batman's nemeses, The Riddler.)

1 comment:

  1. The best attraction of 2013 is Incheon International airport Terminal 2 of Seoul, South Korea. Popular for its interiors the terminal project is expected create about 93,000 jobs and KRW17trn ($15.8bn) worth of economic benefits. It is constructed based on Korean design patterns representing Korean culture and traditions.

    ReplyDelete